After Nose Surgery
After a nose surgery it is important to follow your nose surgery doctor's instructions as well as all guidelines provided by the medical staff. Following these instructions after nose surgery can help you assure a smooth and easy recovery.
Right after Nose Surgery:
When you wake up after nose surgery you will most likely feel a little dizzy from the anesthesia and will not be able to fully coordinate your movements. The medical staff will give you instructions such as either move, or drink something. It is necessary that you follow these instructions - even though you may not feel well enough.
Please allow yourself some time to be fully awake before leaving the medical premises. It is important that you inform the medical staff if you do not feel well.
After nose surgery you will be instructed on what medications to take, when to bathe, special care after surgery and when to see your nose surgery surgeon again.
After The Nose Surgery Procedure
After your nose surgery is completed you will be able to go home, you do not need to stay overnight at the facility.
If you had the nose surgery done with general anesthesia you will be asked to stay usually for 2 hours after the surgery and to have someone drive you home. This can change depending on how your body reacts to the surgery.
It is recommended that you to have someone drive you home after you had the nose surgery specially if you were put to sleep during the procedure (in this case it will be required).
If you had the nose surgery with partial or mild sedation will be able to leave about an hour after the nose surgery to make sure the surgery went well, there were no complications and that you are able to go back home.
After nose surgery a bandage or compression garment will be placed over the area of the body where you had the nose surgery removed. You may be asked to wear the bandages or compression garment for a few days after nose surgery.
In some cases the doctors may have you wear compression stockings after your surgery. These stockings will also help improve the circulation and help prevent new problematic nose surgery from developing.
The nose surgery surgeon will then have you come back in a few weeks for a nose surgery follow-up.
Within a week after the nose surgery you will go back to the doctor for him or her to take the bandages and/or the stockings off.
The nose surgery surgeon will have you abstain from exercise for at least 24 hours after nose surgery. After this, you may be recommended to exercise after the nose surgery to help improve the blood flow and to help you recover faster.
You will be recommended to not take hot baths for at least a week after nose surgery. It is also a good idea to cover the areas where you had the nose surgery from the sun and avoid extreme heath.
What To Expect After Nose Surgery
Nose surgery typically does not require a hospital stay and are done on an outpatient basis with regional or general anesthesia. Most people go home the same day of their nose surgery.
Most likely, you will be able to return to work within a few days. After several weeks, you can resume normal leisure and recreational activities.
Tips to follow after Nose surgery:
- You will need someone to drive you from the medical facility to your home.
- It is also critical that you have someone aid you especially on the first night after surgery. It is recommended that you have someone help you the first 3 days after nose surgery, especially if you have children.
- Have your surgeon's phone number at hand in case you need to ask your surgeon a question.
- Have a timer or written schedule of when you have to take your medications.
- Make sure that you have everything that you may need for post-surgery care such as clean towels, ice packets, comfortable clothes, bandages or special garments.
- Ask your surgeon if you will need a special diet after nose surgery and if there are any foods that are recommended during the first days after surgery.
- Please ask your nose surgery doctor how long it will take after nose surgery for you to drive.
- During the first days after nose surgery, it is also recommended that beforehand you plan on activities that will entertain you such as reading a book, watching movies that you like or making puzzles. These activities can help you keep your mind occupied and help distract you from pain or discomfort, as well as making your recovery more enjoyable.
- Avoid any extreme heat or cold after nose surgery.
- Avoid any type of strenuous physical activity and exercising until advised by your surgeon to do so.
Traveling after Nose Surgery
Traveling can put a lot of stress on the body especially after nose surgery. Please do not schedule any travel right after nose surgery. Your surgeon may restrict you from airplane traveling for at least 10 days.
Airplane travel may increase the risk of blood clots after nose surgery.
Additionally your body may require additional time to fully recover and if you have not healed enough; you may experience pain and discomfort during your trip.
Please keep in mind that it will take at least 1-2 months for any swelling and scarring to be completely healed. Additionally, in some cases your surgeon may recommend that you stay out of the sun for some time after nose surgery.
Following all these instructions will reduce the chances of risks after nose surgery and will increase your chances of having a successful recovery; as well as help you achieve the desired outcome from your nose surgery.
Additional Therapies after Nose Surgery
In many cases your surgeon may recommend additional treatments or therapies after nose surgery. The goal of these additional treatments can include: help you recover faster, complement your surgery, and diminish scarring, swelling or pain.
Ask your surgeon if he or she recommends any additional treatments or therapies after nose surgery for your particular case.
Emergency after Nose Surgery
Although today's medical procedures have a very high success rate it is important to know that there are always risks after surgery. If you experience any type of situation that does not seem normal after your surgery; contact your doctor immediately. It you present a true medical emergency please call 911 immediately.
Questions about what to expect after nose surgery:
- How long will I have to stay in recovery after my nose surgery?
- How will I feel after nose surgery?
- How much pain is there after nose surgery?
- How long can I expect to fully recover from my nose surgery?
Questions to ask about your return home after nose surgery:
- Am I required to have someone drive me home after nose surgery?
- What kind of care will I need at home?
- Should I have someone help me after my nose surgery? And if so, for how long?
- Are there any activity limitations after my nose surgery and for how long?
- What kind of diet should I keep after my nose surgery?
- What symptoms should I watch out for and report after my nose surgery?
- When should I contact my gastric bypass surgeon?
- What medications do I need to take after my nose surgery?
- Is there anything that I should refrain from after my nose surgery (for example, heat or sun)?
- Do I need bed rest after my nose surgery and for how long?
- How long before I can go back to work after my nose surgery?
- Do I need to wear bandages or special garments? And if so, for how long after my nose surgery?
- How soon can I resume my normal activities after my nose surgery?